– The man is said to have impersonated a female nurse at the MTRH and was working at the Emergency Service
– Nurses at the health facility could not however find the name he was using in the intern register
– He was arrested and during routine prison checks, police discovered he has been living as a woman
– According to the police, he has participated in a number of international marathons as a woman
– All his official identifications show he was registered as a woman
– The man has been detained pending further investigations into his case
– He will also undergo examinations to determine his true gender
A suspect presented at an Eldoret court on Tuesday, June 18, claiming to be a female nurse at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH) left the court stunned after he turned out to be a man.
The man, Hillary Kiprotich who identified himself as Shieys Chepkosgei, is said to have impersonated a nurse at the hospital identified as Pamela Mulupi on June 14, 2019.
READ ALSO: Safaricom introduces reverse call service
A report by The Standard shows the investigating officer, Victor Omondi, told the court Chepkosgei was dressed in the nurse’s uniform complete with a badge.
He also noted the man was working at the Emergency Section when other nurses grew suspicious and alerted the police after they failed to find his name on the interns registrar.
He was arrested and detained at the Eldoret GK Women prison. However, during routine checks, officers discovered that Chepkosgei was not actually a woman.
According to the investigating officers, the man had also participated in a number of international marathons as a female athlete which he acknowledged.
“I was identified as a male, but when I became an athlete, I registered myself as female,” he said.
The 29-year-old has participated in marathons in Malaysia, Morocco ,Tanzania and Zambia as a female athlete and he has won three medals so far.
Kiprotich aka Chepkosgei told the court that he is indeed a man, but said he associates more with the female gender with all his official documents identifying Chepkosgei as a female.
Magistrate Obulutsa ruled that Chepkosgei be remanded for 10 days pending investigations over her birth certificate, identification card and passport.
He will also be required to undergo an examination at the MTRH to determine his gender.
The case will be mentioned on June 27.
The Love Potion Giver